Experienced development manager with 16 years LAMP stack programming experience. I am a certified ScrumMaster and I am passionate about building strong teams through agile methodologies. My development and management experience allow me to communicate effectively on both business and technical levels.
Web Solutions Consultant
I have consulted and provided solutions for a variety of clients, utilizing my technical expertise and business acumen.
- Currently on a long-term contract with a large-scale internet domain owner, fully responsible for managing assets, coordinating sales, developing partner relationships, and creating internal tools for all of these operations.
- Data specialist with experience in database architecture, PL/SQL programming, and optimization.
- Solutions-oriented LAMP developer, building websites for both for-profit and nonprofit entities. Past projects include: OnlineABA (pragmatic web-based solution for tracking data in behavioural therapy), Bruce James Orchestra, TriCity Vineyard, British Soccer Statistics.
Languages: PHP, Perl, Python, BASH, C/C++, Java
Databases: PostgreSQL, MySQL, MS SQL, PL/SQL
Applications & Version Control: Apache, SVN, CVS, Perforce
Protocols: HTTP, XHTML/CSS, XML, VRML
Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, Solaris, SGI Irix
Reporting to the executive management team, I managed the development staff and was involved in all major projects. As the company grew I successfully transitioned from development to a managerial role, while also being involved in business development and strategic planning.
- Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), experienced in facilitating good development process, particularly in web-based environments where ad-hoc processes dominate.
- Managed the developer pool (with teams ranging in size from four to twelve), introducing agile development methodologies and liaising between the product owner and the development team to monitor progress and remove obstacles.
- Responsible for resource scheduling, budgeting, performance management, communication.
- Liaised with internal business units and external partners, including Yahoo and Google.
- Participated in the corporate decision-making processes and strategic planning.
- Maintained hands-on development, particularly in database architecture, programming, and reporting.
- Instigated positive culture and morale improvements, including including conflict resolution, effective response to issues, and event planning.
Reporting to the company owners, I developed many of the key projects for the company during its formative years. I was one of the two original hires, and grew with the organization as it expanded to two offices and over 50 employees.
- Developed and maintained core systems for the company, much of which is still in production.
- Coordinated projects and upgraded the data model as key systems expanded and new capabilities were added.
Reporting to the team lead, I was part of the team that developed and maintained the ASPN online programmer resource tools.
- Developed features and content for the ActiveState Programmer's Network. I maintained and enhanced components of the development infrastructure, including the Bugzilla defect-tracking system and the system architecture documentation.
- Environment: Python, Zope CMS, MS SQL Server, Perl, MySQL, HTML/CSS, Apache, Perforce, Windows 2000, Linux.
|365 Corporation plc
||January 2000 - July 2001
Reporting to the CTO, I developed and maintained a product I had created privately and sold to the company.
- Developed online statistics content for the popular Football365 website through the use of Perl scripts and a flat-file database. My statistics program was purchased by the company and I was retained as a developer, telecommuting from Canada. The statistics engine is still in use on the football365.com website.
- Management Process/Systems:
- Agile development with Scrum, prioritization, delegation
- Integrity, morale improvement, conflict resolution
- Listening, perceiving, oral and written presentations.
- Strategy and Problem Solving:
- Decision making, organizing data, troubleshooting, investigation & analysis
MSc in Computing Science
- Graduated with a Masters of Science degree as part of the Computer Graphics Project research group. Developed a tool to produce 3D tooth models to aid dentists in root canal surgery.
- Environment: C, OpenGL, SGI Irix, X-forms, VRML, Java.
BSc in Computing Science
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Science, Co-operative Education degree. Included four work terms at companies in both the UK and Canada.
- Goetz, M.R., The Application of Surface Reconstruction Techniques in Endodontics. MSc thesis, University of East Anglia, 1998.
- Goetz, M.R. and Day, A.M., Surface Reconstruction for Teeth. Proceedings of Eurographics UK Chapter 16th Annual Conference, pp. 17-29, March 1998.
- Arnold, D.B. and Courtenay, A. and Day, A.M. and Goetz, M.R. and Graham, H.I., Virtual Teeth for Endodontics Training and Practice. Proceedings of Information Visualisation 2000 Conference (IV2000) IEEE Computer Society, London, pp. 597-603, 2000.
- I have been member of the Core Leaders Team for TriCity Vineyard Church, where I participated in establishing the church's direction and vision from 2004 to 2009. I also functioned as one of the church directors from 2004 to 2011, overseeing the financial responsibilities of the organization.
- I am a keen musician with over 30 years experience in piano, and I continue to play keyboards and percussion on a regular basis.
Available upon request.